[Sca-cooks] Roysonys of courance

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Mar 3 06:05:36 PST 2006

One of the things left out of most of the dictionary entries is the primary
range for currants is in the cooler regions of the Northern Hemisphere.  The
OED states that using currant for the fruit of the Ribes was a transferance
that occurred after the importation of the plants into England some time
prior to 1578.  In 1578, Lyte refers to them as "Bastard Currants" and
"Beyond sea Gooseberries."

A pre-17th Century English recipe calling for currants or raisins of Corinth
is most likely calling for Zante raisins.

The etymology in Old Norse might be interesting to track.  German, for
example, uses Korinth and Johannisbeere as terms for currants.  From my
limited knowledge, I believe Korinth would be the Zante raisin while the
Johannisbeere is "midsummer berry" as Johanni(s) translates as "Midsummer
Day," the Summer Solistice.

Bear