[Sca-cooks] Blood oranges, etc.

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Mar 3 11:14:28 PST 2006

The problem with all citrus fruit is trying to determine
exactly what is being talked about. From my book
on the topic and the research that went into it---
Sweet oranges, according to a number of sources,
were around in the 15th century. Then about 1520
the Portuguese brought back another even sweeter orange.
Then in the mid-18th century we have the British coming along with
yet another sweet orange.

There's a romatic story that links blood ornages with the Crusades but
at best they seem to be a 17th century mutation from probably Sicily.

One thing is for certain is that there were a number of varieties that
were being
grown in the past that we never see in our supermarkets.
In the late 17th-early 18th centuries the Medici commissioned a series
of paintings
of what was being grown on their estates. The artist was Bartolomeo Bimbi.
Taking a look at his paintings of fruits and vegetables is rather amazing.
[And I am not talking about the monstrous aspects either
http://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/2002/slideshow/slide-163-15.shtm ]

See http://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/2002/slideshow/slide-163-14.htm
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/history/lecture39/32.html
or browse the History of Horticulture course for more details. See
lecture 39.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/history/default.html

Hope this helps,

Johnnae