[Sca-cooks] Making Salt

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 5 20:56:26 PST 2006

Sharon asked:
 > Has anyone experimented with making salt?

Not recently, but as a child I remember taking home a gallon of
seawater and letting it evaporate.

 > Did you boil the water out or use natural evaporaton?
 > Was it hard to find clean enough sea water?

Depends upon how much salt you want to end up with. From a gallon, I
think you just get a sprinkling of salt crystals.

That is why on a commercial scale, large, shallow ponds (salt pans)
are used and the salt water is put in multiple times. Usually done in
a series of pans. Once some of the water has evaporated and the brine
is denser, it is drained to another pond and more seawater put into
the first pond. As you progress through a series of ponds the salt
gets more and more concentrated.

For more on period salt mining and the trading of salt see these
files in the COMMERCE section of the Florilegium:
salt-msg          (47K)  9/ 4/04    Medieval salt production and use.
salt-comm-art     (18K)  1/ 9/97    "Salt of the Earth" by Lord Xaviar.

There are a number of books which have come out in the last few years
on this subject. I've got several and can give you the bibliographic
details, but some should be mentioned in the first file.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com