[Sca-cooks] Making Salt

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 5 21:19:52 PST 2006

Adele de Maisieres mentioned:

Sharon Gordon wrote:
 > Was it hard to find clean enough sea water?

If you're producing salt from seawater, you add various clarifying
agents to purify it.
<<<

Do you mean now? Or in period? If you mean in period, I'd like to see
what you have detailing this.
I do know that sea salt was generally considered inferior to either
mined or boiled salt, especially that from the French coast. It had
more impurities and the crystals were bigger. However, the bigger
crystals were better for salting food for preservation.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com