[Sca-cooks] Summary of where foods came from

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Mar 8 14:49:29 PST 2006

This topic can be approached in a variety of ways. Gardening, food, cookery,
plant history, etc. The New Oxford Book of Food Plants is one place to
start.

Besides the various food books like the Oxford Companion by Davidson,
there are a number of garden books
and even vegetable books like those by Elizabeth Schneider. She's written
Vegetables from Amaranth to Zucchini: The Essential Reference: 500
Recipes. and
Uncommon Fruits & Vegetables : A Commonsense Guide.
 Jane Grigson wrote both a Fruit Book and a Vegetable Book.

The Complete Book Of Vegetables, Herbs And Fruits by Biggs is another book.
It highlights more than 1,000 vegetables, fruits, and herbs, providing
all the information
you need for growing, harvesting, and cooking. Written by three leading
garden experts, with 600 recipes and 1,200 color photos.

For plant history:
The Origin of Plants: The People and Plants That Have Shaped Britain's
Garden History since the Year 1000
is a good one for the UK.
There are a number of books like The Plant Hunter's Garden : The New
Explorers and Their Discoveries
which mention plants and discoveries. Timber Press publishes a number of
these.

There are any number of books on recreating a garden. Ann Leighton is
one author to look for.
 William Weaver's books on American gardens are very good. There are any
number of books on kitchen gardens too.
The Art of the Kitchen Garden is one.
Not knowing what age group the garden is being created for makes it a
bit hard to recommend
children's or teen books on the subject. There are a number to choose from.
You also can search on botanical gardens history of plants for links to
gardens like
http://www.huntington.org/BotanicalDiv/HEHBotanicalHome.html

Hope this helps.

Johnnae