[Sca-cooks] A little tidbit for those planning Lenten dinner...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Mar 10 19:35:28 PST 2006

On Mar 10, 2006, at 10:20 PM, Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Mussels have beards.  Is that close enough?
> --Maire, in the mood for seafood, as long as it doesn't come with hair
> attached <shudder>

Yeah, I can just about stand the hair on the shells of some crabs,
around the little tail flaps (it helps them hold onto eggs, I think),
but it has always kind of grossed me out. I'm just glad I saw that
photo on an empty stomach; I'm not a squeamish guy, normally, but
that was... unfortunate.

Okay, on a marginally related note, who else cooked seafood  this
evening?

My lady wife came home with some nice, fresh cod fillets <shrug>,
which I cooked in an iron skillet on top of several cloves of chopped
garlic and some brown butter; just laid the fillets on top of the
browned butter and garlic, lowered the heat, covered the pan, and let
it steam. The fish released some juice which mixed with the butter
and made a sort of creamy, garlicky gravy for smashed potatoes (I had
swirled the liquid around in the pan every couple of minutes during
the cooking process.) Salt, crushed long pepper, and some chopped
parsley on the fish, after the idea of capers in the sauce was
subjected to "constructive criticism". Served with the aforeseyd
potatoes, salt-water-blanched haricots vert (that's baby green beans
to you), and a dill-flavored cucumber salad...

Next?

Adamantius