[Sca-cooks] Moussaka?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Mar 11 11:53:11 PST 2006

On Mar 11, 2006, at 2:20 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Kiri commented:
> > he did make a wonderful dish of Moussaka before he left...yum.
>
> What is "Moussaka"?

It's any of several variants on a Greek layered casserole-ey dish,
normally with slices of a main ingredient (eggplant is most commonly
associated with this technique, either raw or pre-fried, but you can
use various squashes or even potato) layered with a [Greek-style --
think of flavor combinations like dill and/or cinnamon with tomato]
tomato or a tomato-and-meat sauce, grated cheese, and baked under a
top layer of unsweetened custard, usually with more cheese. This is
also done with pasta (the end result is a lot like lasagne
bolognese), in which case your dish is not moussaka, but pastitsio.

For the most part, what distinguishes these as Greek or Turkish
dishes (I think it's common to both cultures, and not really clear
who borrowed from whom), and makes it moussaka instead of a more
Italian-inspired dish, is the distinctive browned, eggy-cheesy topping.

I'm thinking this is quite likely to be a throwback to some period
Islamic techniques, where you cook your dish, then put eggs on top
and brown.

Which reminds me, my lovely, tolerant and indulgent lady wife picked
up a copy of the newish Charles Perry translation of al-Baghdadi at
Kitchen Arts and Letters, which I have yet to dip into...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04