Mystery Greek Food was RE: [Sca-cooks] Moussaka?

Guenievre de Monmarche guenievre at erminespot.com
Sat Mar 11 12:11:17 PST 2006

While we're on the subject of Greek foods, I had a dish in a Greek
restaurant once that was wonderful... and then the restaurant closed.
Unfortunately, the one person I know who was raised in Greece says she's
never heard of anything like it.  It was basically torn up pieces of pita
bread, and hunks of gyro-style lamb, layered in a baking dish and then
covered in some sort of yogurt based sauce (maybe with egg? It was kind of
custardy), topped in more pita and baked - the top bits of pita get crusty,
the rest are bread-pudding-ish). Has anyone ever had anything like this, and
can tell me what it's called, or even better does anyone have a recipe for
something like this?

Guenièvre