[Sca-cooks] Making Mustard

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 14 17:57:20 PST 2006

Jill Brown wrote:
> Greetings -
> I post once in a great while on this list and truly enjoy reading what
> everyone has to say and am learning from all of you.
> I have a question. I have lots of mustard seeds (worked part time as
> bookkeeper for a restaurant that closed and for final pay got to take
> home lots of stuff) and I would like to make mustard. I have been
> doing some research on the internet but with not much luck. Is mustard
> period? and what are thoughts about it?
> Thanks!
> Gabrielle

No problem...here 'tis.

Kiri

*Sodde Egges
(Eggs in Mustard Sauce) *

4 eggs
1 oz. Butter
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1 tsp. vinegar (I used white wine vinegar)
pinch of salt
pepper to taste

Boil eggs for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly brown the butter in a
saucepan and allow it to cool a little before quickly stirring in the
remaining ingredients. Peel the eggs, quarter them and arrange them on a
warm dish. Reheat the sauce and pour it over the eggs immediately before
serving.

Original: Seeth your Egges almost harde, then peele them and cut them in
quarters, then take a little Butter in a frying panne and melt it a
little browne, then put to it in to the panne, a little Vinegar,
Mustarde, Pepper and Salte, and then put it into a platter upon your
Egges. – J. Partridge, /The Widowes Treasure/

Brears, Peter, Maggie Black, Gill Corbishley, Jane Renfrew and Jennifer
Stead. /A Taste of History./ London: British Museum Press, 1994.