[Sca-cooks] medieval steaks

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Mar 16 16:09:33 PST 2006

> Terry Decker wrote:
>
>>  What we don't know is what the steaks looked like, precisely how they
>> were cooked, or to whom they would be served.
>
> Do we know what cuts of meat would have been likely for grilling at the
> time? For that matter, how different were the meat cuts in Medieval Europe
> from the ones today?
>
> Aoghann

I suspect that flank meat may have been common for grilling with roasts cut
thin across the grain a close second, thick slices of bacon and in general
any realatively thin cuts of meat, that would hold together.  I haven't seen
any studies of medieval butchering practices, but there probably some out
there.  My opinion would be chining to quarters, separation at the joints
and carving from the bone (depending on the prevalence and quality of bone
saws).  Might be a fun topic to research.

Bear