[Sca-cooks] medieval steaks

Judith L. Smith Adams judifer50 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 16 12:09:12 PST 2006

Leche is "to grease"??
  Skewers begat grills, grills begat flat griddles, which begat the ridge-bottomed grilling skillet, which has survived to the present??

  What might "canelle" be??

  Thanks!
  Judith

Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    To quote myself from a column I did for Serve It Forth!,

"There is no doubt that steak is a Medieval dish, as the following recipe
from Harleian Manuscript 279 atests:

To make Steyks of venson or bef. Take Venyson or Bef, & leche & gredyl it up broun... SNIP

...straw on pouder Canelle y-now
  SNIP

  , that the steyks be al y-helid ther-wyth, and
but a litel Sawce; & then serue it

forth.

We know that in this instance, steaks were greased, cooked, and served in a
spiced wine sauce. What we don't

know is what the steaks looked like, precisely how they were cooked, or to
whom they would be served.

Gredyl is a Middle English word derived from the Old North French, gridel,
which may have come to England

with the Conquest. Originally, it described a metal lattice work for
grilling. The gridel became a gridiren

in Middle English and a grill in Modern English. At some point, the griddle
became a flat metal pan and

the gridiron became a frying pan with ridges in the bottom.

Within these definitions, steak could either be broiled on a grill or pan
fried. It is very possible that gredyl

describes both techniques and that the cook understood which technique to
use for the various cuts of meat.

Some Renaissance paintings show both lattice work and solid grilling
surfaces as part of a raised firebox and cooking surface that substituted
for a stove. I've built a few of these for field cookery and they work very
well. The Bayeux Tapestry shows chunks of meat being grilled in the field
for William's table.

Bear