[Sca-cooks] medieval steaks

Judith L. Smith Adams judifer50 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 17 00:08:04 PST 2006

The real question, which I seem to be fumbling to express, is:
  Which word in the original recipe refers to greasing the meat??

  Re all these tools surviving to the present: indeed they have.  I am intrigued with the early origins of the ridged skillet, which I would otherwise have expected to be a 19th century item at the earliest, rather like the elaborate china services with dozens of specialized pieces.  Not so...

  Cheers,
  Judith

Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Leche is "to grease"??

Probably means "slice" in this context.

> Skewers begat grills, grills begat flat griddles, which begat the
> ridge-bottomed grilling skillet, which has survived to the present??

Skewers begat spits. Grills probably began with a lattice of greenwood for
roasting, smoking and drying. There is at least one Roman stove with a
series of cross bars (rather than a lattice) for grilling and a couple of
rings designed to hold pots or pans above the surface of the fire. The
metal grill and the metal griddle probably developed in parallel to handle
coarse and fine meats. Additionally, grills make serviceable surfaces for
pots and pans. Where the cook surface didn't have a griddle, I would expect
to see a frying pan.

The grilling skillet is a specialized application to raise the meat above
the fat it release and, IIRC, I've seen a picture of one from the
Renaissance.

Since I have used skewers, spits, grills, griddles and grill pans, I would
say all have survived to the present.

> What might "canelle" be??
>
> Thanks!
> Judith