[Sca-cooks] medieval steaks

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Mar 16 16:30:53 PST 2006

> Leche is "to grease"??

Probably means "slice" in this context.

>  Skewers begat grills, grills begat flat griddles, which begat the
> ridge-bottomed grilling skillet, which has survived to the present??

Skewers begat spits.  Grills probably began with a lattice of greenwood for
roasting, smoking and drying.  There is at least one Roman stove with a
series of cross bars (rather than a lattice) for grilling and a couple of
rings designed to hold pots or pans above the surface of the fire.  The
metal grill and the metal griddle probably developed in parallel to handle
coarse and fine meats.  Additionally, grills make serviceable surfaces for
pots and pans.  Where the cook surface didn't have a griddle, I would expect
to see a frying pan.

The grilling skillet is a specialized application to raise the meat above
the fat it release and, IIRC, I've seen a picture of one from the
Renaissance.

Since I have used skewers, spits, grills, griddles and grill pans, I would
say all have survived to the present.

>  What might "canelle" be??
>
>  Thanks!
>  Judith