[Sca-cooks] Chicken-- cooked weight

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Mar 17 06:16:44 PST 2006

On Mar 17, 2006, at 9:09 AM, Sharon Gordon wrote:

> Has anyone roasted a whole chicken and weighed it before and
> after?  If so
> how much weight did it lose in the roasting process?

I haven't done the weighing myself (and I'm sure the extent of
doneness makes a difference in moisture and therefore mass loss), but
the reference books generally say you lose a third of the mass of
bone-in chicken in cooking. Start with a pound, end up with .667
pounds, etc.

This rule presumably wouldn't apply to something like wings, but for
larger, meatier pieces, or whole birds, it seems about right.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04