[Sca-cooks] Chicken-- cooked weight

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Fri Mar 17 08:29:23 PST 2006

> I haven't done the weighing myself (and I'm sure the extent of
> doneness makes a difference in moisture and therefore mass loss), but
> the reference books generally say you lose a third of the mass of
> bone-in chicken in cooking. Start with a pound, end up with .667
> pounds, etc.

Thank you for checking.  What books have good resources for info like this?
Since most of my cooking is from scratch, I am always trying to figure out
things like
1) how much weight of wet dough makes a 1 pound cooked loaf of bread
2) how many pounds/cups a pound of various types of dry beans makes
3) how many people a pound of X will feed

Sharon
gordonse at one.net