[Sca-cooks] Chicken-- cooked weight

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Mar 17 09:57:51 PST 2006

On Mar 17, 2006, at 11:29 AM, Sharon Gordon wrote:

>> I haven't done the weighing myself (and I'm sure the extent of
>> doneness makes a difference in moisture and therefore mass loss), but
>> the reference books generally say you lose a third of the mass of
>> bone-in chicken in cooking. Start with a pound, end up with .667
>> pounds, etc.
>
> Thank you for checking.  What books have good resources for info
> like this?
> Since most of my cooking is from scratch, I am always trying to
> figure out
> things like
> 1) how much weight of wet dough makes a 1 pound cooked loaf of bread
> 2) how many pounds/cups a pound of various types of dry beans makes
> 3) how many people a pound of X will feed

Most food-service cookbooks have a lot of this information in one
form or another, even if only in the form of a recipe for a dish
similar to the one you're cooking. For this, though, I'd recommend a
copy of "Food for Fifty", which is a little harder to find now, I
believe, than it used to be, and more expensive, but you might find a
copy used on Amazon for not too much.

Aww, Jayzuz, just checked, and the used copies on Amazon are
ridiculous, too... $60, USED???

Okay, until you can find a copy, ask your questions here, I guess ;-)

Or, check here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOOD-FOR-FIFTY-Serving-Large-Groups-THIS-IS-A-
MUST_W0QQitemZ4622172022QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewI
tem

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782