[Sca-cooks] Field Kitchen Fun

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Sun Mar 19 20:48:58 PST 2006

> What kind of feast are you guys doing? And for what event? I'm doing
> a lunch in April for Artemisia's Crown Tourney.  I get a stove and a
> fridge, and it's indoors, but I don't even know if I get a sink. ;o)
>  I'm going to do as much as possible ahead of time, and then reheat.
>  Luckily, all I have to do is soups, protein source, breads/spreads,
> fruit, hot drinks. --Maire, in a mood to talk food....

It's a relatively small feast, I think for 85, and it's in my favorite shire,
Ostgardr's Northpass, basicly slightly north and west of NYC. Adamantius is
doing it- I'll just be helping. It's a nice site, other than the kitchen
facilities, Basicly, we'll have a pole barn floored with asphault, with a
minimal kitchen area- stove, fridge, and household sinks (as I remember- I
was smithing, not cooking, the one time I was at the site several years ago).
The water is not, IMO, drinkable- according to a friend who lives locally,
it's got cyanide in it. The serving/dining area is a bit of a distance from
the kitchen- not too bad, but still, a distance- 100 ft? Basicly picnic
tables under a shelter.

Basic plan is, so far, a menu drawn from French and English sources, with a
lot of stuff pre-prepped in boil in-bags, as well as other stuff being
grilled. The food itself will lean heavily on game-type things, as the theme,
I think, is basicly a hunting party. The pole barn has big, garage type doors
at each end, so we'll actually be able to safely grill more or less indoors,
if weather requires or that's what Adamantius wants to do. I'll be basicly
helping him however he needs me to. Once he figures out what he wants to
serve, I'll figure out which of my facilities can help- we have, for example,
a seal-a-meal set up, so I can make stuff to his specs here, and bring it,
and so forth.

Should be interesting.

Phlip