[Sca-cooks] Hellooooo......

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Mon Mar 20 08:09:18 PST 2006

Am Montag, 20. März 2006 13:38 schrieb Elaine Koogler:

> Amen, sister!  Most are, at least in Atlantia.  However, we do still run
> across those who are less than appreciative.  Unfortunately, the current
> administration, both ceremonial and business, of our local Barony,
> doesn't appear to have a clue.  We constantly have to fight not only to
> get sufficient funding for feasts, but we have problems getting money to
> purchase needed equipment.  This is a situation that has never existed
> before in the history of our group, so it really makes it so folks just
> don't want to get involved.  There are four of us who cook events, one
> of these being my husband (so it really is just 3 as we work together
> for any feasts one of us cooks), and we can't seem to get anyone else
> involved, even though there are people who have the
> ability...organizational and culinary...to do so.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to how to bring this point home to these
> folks?

I was, at more than one point close to handing various annoying importants my
shopping lists, recipe files, and flowcharts and tell them "Here, go ahead.
It's easy - you said so yourself". It would probably help, but the results
might not be palatable. Maybe something like Midshipmen's training in the old
Navy - you don't get to be event officer until you have been helper in the
department at least once, and you don't get to be autocrat unless you've been
helper at least once in each the kitchen, troll/reception, lists and hall
stewarding/serving?

In the event, I was lucky enough to fall ill twice before joint-cooking camp
events. They had the shopping, the fresh foods list, the gear, the recipes
and full menu plans, and my spice box.... I get a lot more respect since :-)

Giano