[Sca-cooks] Tony Bourdain Iceland Special

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 22 09:00:18 PST 2006

>This guy is SUCH a JERK!    I watched his show on Morocco and was soooo
>turned off by his attitudes I just couldn't believe anyone would want to
>watch him regularly.

Well, Tony started out writing a book about the seamy underside
of the restaurant biz. He kind of started out as a jaded, ex-drug
addict cynic and that's part of his charm. I rather enjoy his take
on life and his giving his honest opinion on things rather than
Rachel Rey's ability to make everything seem like Disneyland.
If something sucks, he'll say it and will also praise something to the
highest degree if it is good. He's willing to try things and take
chances and give the common person view of the situation.

I do feel they gave a bit of a short shrift to Iceland but I think that
is part of the producer's fault. I think he could have been exposed
to better foods and times. I wonder how Nanna would feel about
some of the stuff he was fed.

I think Tony gave the impressions that most of use would have in
the same situation. He's both insider and ordinary tourist.

>He is as annoying as that "BAM" guy.   Give me Alton and Mario any day.

I don't care for Emeril's show, it feels too much like an infomercial.
He had another show for a while where it was just him in the kitchen
and he was a lot more tolerable. Tony even made snarky comments
about him in his book and later admitted that Emeril was a good chef
and nice guy.

And I love Alton and Mario as well. But sometimes it's nice to have a
travel host where not everything is wonderful and glorious.

>stepping down from soapbox,

This list has several spare soapboxes off in the corner.

>Katira

Gunthar