[Sca-cooks] A curiosity

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Wed Mar 22 09:00:25 PST 2006

> >Next AM, remove the fat, then reheat the stock, to reduce by about half.
> >About lunchtime, clarify w/egg white, if you do that sort of thing, twice
(I
> >do), and put back on the stove to simmer and reduce some more. Meantime,
mix
> >up the two egg yolks with a whole egg, and make yourself either some
> >scrambled eggs or French Toast.
> >

> Can you explain the whole "clarify with egg white" bit?

Oh, sorry, sure.

No matter what you strain it through, stock usually has minute solids that
make it appear cloudy. If you want to remove them, to make it clear, as for
an aspic or a bouillion, you need to clarify it.

Seperate an egg, and beat the egg white up with a bit of water. Pour this
into the simmering stock, and mix, and when the egg white cooks and comes to
the surface, it's acquired most of the impurities.

Doing it once never seems to get all the impurities, so I usually do it twice
as a matter of course. You can do this until you run out of eggs, and each
time it removes more and more of the minute solids, but after twice, you
start approaching the limit of diminishing returns.

Phlip