[Sca-cooks] new beasty

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Thu Mar 23 11:21:34 PST 2006

> > Really? I think it's fascinating, and rather lovely - the mix of
> > textures and shades of white and off-white. I sent a link to an
> > artist who made a textile version she was so fascinated by its
> > appearance.

Resend that privately, if you would. I agree- I think the critter's rather
cute, and was thinking one of those stuffed toys might make a neat birthday
gift for my mother ;-) Told her about it, and she was as interested as I was.

> I wonder if anyone tried to eat it. Or has it been determined that
> there's something obviously toxic about it? I'm reminded of a story
> I  heard years ago, about a Japanese fishing trawler that somehow
> hooked
> (or netted) and landed one of the giant squids, the kind you see
>  locked in combat with a model of a sperm whale at the American
> Museum  of Natural History, and apparently the fishermen thought
> they had  sashimi for a week or more. That is, until they discovered
> that the  squid's ability to excrete ammonia was compromised by the
> decreased  water/air pressure, so the meat was full of ammonia...

Well, in this case, the thing is pretty fragrant- basicly due to the high
sulpher content of its environment. Might be tasty, but most folks would have
trouble getting it past their nose ;-) And, condidering they only brought
back one, and the rest of them are about a mile below the ocean surface, in a
section of the ocean that's pretty remote and known for bad weather, I rather
doubt you'll see very many in your Fulton Fish Market any time soon ;-)

> On the other hand, it does seem to have a high creepiness index for
> many people ;-)
>
> Adamantius

Dunno why- as I said, I think it's rather cute ;-) But, then, I tend to like
any living critter, just because ;-)

Phlip