[Sca-cooks] new beasty

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Mar 23 11:07:25 PST 2006

On Mar 23, 2006, at 1:50 PM, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> "Marcha" <nigsdaughter at satx.rr.com> wrote:
>> Really, who cares whether it is a lobster or a crab?
>
> It is important to those who study sea life, and could turn out to
> have effects on us, as we better understand other forms of life on
> Earth.
>
>> All I know is that it is one Ugly critter.........or as my
>> military children would say _ugly!
>
> Really? I think it's fascinating, and rather lovely - the mix of
> textures and shades of white and off-white. I sent a link to an
> artist who made a textile version she was so fascinated by its
> appearance.

That was you?!?

>> Besides that, you can't eat it!
>
> There are many life forms on Earth we can't eat. I cannot eat a
> redwood tree. Should i discount it for that reason?

I wonder if anyone tried to eat it. Or has it been determined that
there's something obviously toxic about it? I'm reminded of a story I
heard years ago, about a Japanese fishing trawler that somehow hooked
(or netted) and landed one of the giant squids, the kind you see
locked in combat with a model of a sperm whale at the American Museum
of Natural History, and apparently the fishermen thought they had
sashimi for a week or more. That is, until they discovered that the
squid's ability to excrete ammonia was compromised by the decreased
water/air pressure, so the meat was full of ammonia...

>> Interesting to note that there are still things like that crab/
>> lobster (looks more like a tick to me) out there still waiting to
>> be found.
>
> Yes, that is interesting... and important, since they found this in
> a place they weren't expecting to.

I wouldn't argue that there's probably not a lot to be learned from
the beastie in question. If it's a very old life form that we simply
haven't discovered could tell us a lot, and if it's something that
actually is newish, it might tell us even more.

On the other hand, it does seem to have a high creepiness index for
many people ;-)

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782