[Sca-cooks] Spices and the Irish Common folk

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Mar 24 12:56:39 PST 2006

On Mar 24, 2006, at 3:37 PM, Judith L. Smith Adams wrote:

> Love that combo of spice/herb... and instead of boiling potatoes
> and cabbage (or even steaming it), like to serve the corned beef
> with colcannon...

I remember once being asked, one slowish March 17th evening, in one
of the French restaurants I worked in, to create a souffle special
for the evening's dinner service. I braised about equal parts of kale
and leek in cream sauce, then worked in potato puree and beaten egg
white, et voila! Souffle aux pommes Colcannon...

The exec chef at the time never did figure out what it was supposed
to be, but several people coming home from the Saint Patrick's Day
Parade ordered it (probably in a state of drunken whimsy), and
laughed hysterically when it arrived (they were beautiful, if I say
so myself). A waiter returned to the kitchen with a ramekin that
looked like it had been licked clean, and said, "The guy at table 20
says Lughnasa's not for another five months, but it was good anyway."

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04