[Sca-cooks] Corning as a term-- OEDwise

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Mar 24 18:48:09 PST 2006

Corn-- selcted definitions from from OED--- Johnnae

c. Kind or size of `grain'. Obs.

    * 1674-91 Ray N.C. Words 206 The Ale serves to harden the Corn of
      the Salt.

    * 1679 Plot Staffordsh. (1686) 94 If they intend a large Corne [of
      salt] they put into it [the brine] about..a quart of the strongest
      and stalest Ale.

2. intr. To take the form of grains, to become granular. Obs.

    * 1560 Whitehorne Ord. Souldiours (1588) 28 Into the which Seeue the
      pouder must be put while it is dancke, and also a little bowle,
      that when you sifte, it may roule vp and doune vpon the clots of
      pouder, to breake them, that it may corne, and runne through the
      hooles of the Seeue.

      * 1674-91 Ray Making Salt Coll. 206 After one hour's boiling the
      Brine will begin to corn.

    * 1679 Plot Staffordsh. (1686) 94 They boile it [the brine] again
      gently till it begin to Corne.

3. trans. To sprinkle with salt in grains; to season, pickle, or
preserve with salt; to salt.

    * 1565-73 Cooper Thesaurus, Aspergere salem carnibus, to corne with
      salt.

    * 1573 Tusser Husb. (1878) 167 Some corneth, some brineth, some will
      not be taught, where meate is attainted, there cookrie is naught.

    * 1634 R. H. Salernes Regim. 86 The foresaid fishes be better,
      beeing a little corned with Salt, then fresh, or utterly salt.

    * 1748 Richardson Clarissa (1811) V. 266 The beef was woundily corned.

    * 1801 Chron. in Ann. Reg. 1800, 110 Herrings sprinkled (or, as it
      is termed, `roused or corned') with a moderate quantity of salt.

    * 1882 Sat. Rev. LIV. 642 Obliged to corn a great part of the meat
      as the only way of preserving it for use.

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote: snipped