[Sca-cooks] Spices and the Irish Common folk

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Mar 24 19:41:19 PST 2006

>   1.  They didn't have any spices.

ermmm... I would kinda doubt that, even if you define spices as 'stuff
that comes from a long way away. There's no reason to assume that people
never had access to, say, peppercorn from time to time.

Without going and looking at C. Ann Wilson, I'm not sure what seed
herb/spices were grown in Ireland. But I'm willing to bet on mustard
seed, since mustard grows practically like a weed. Coriander, Caraway,
Anise, cumin, dill, fennel, all are among the herb seeds I would suspect
as possibly in use as spices in medieval Ireland.

>   5.  If they had any 'herbs', they would not be considered anything
>other than another vegetable.

See above

Pickled brawn and pickled cabbage appear to have been things served to
servants in Britain. Of course, whether the brawn was beef or pig might
have differed from place to place.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."
	-- Harry S. Truman