[Sca-cooks] Spices and the Irish Common folk

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 25 04:32:01 PST 2006

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:
>>   1.  They didn't have any spices.
>>

> ermmm... I would kinda doubt that, even if you define spices as 'stuff
> that comes from a long way away. There's no reason to assume that people
> never had access to, say, peppercorn from time to time.
>
> Without going and looking at C. Ann Wilson, I'm not sure what seed
> herb/spices were grown in Ireland. But I'm willing to bet on mustard
> seed, since mustard grows practically like a weed. Coriander, Caraway,
> Anise, cumin, dill, fennel, all are among the herb seeds I would suspect
> as possibly in use as spices in medieval Ireland.
>

>>   5.  If they had any 'herbs', they would not be considered anything
>> other than another vegetable.
>>

> See above
>
> Pickled brawn and pickled cabbage appear to have been things served to
> servants in Britain. Of course, whether the brawn was beef or pig might
> have differed from place to place.

Except, according to Peter Brears ("10,000 Years of British Cooking",
"All the King's Cooks") and Madge Lorwin ("Dining with William
Shakespeare") at the Yule season, when pork brawn was served as a
celebratory dish for the Christmas feast.  Brears even has pictures of
the cooks at Hampton Court recreating the dish at the Christmas
celebrations there.  It's a wonderful dish...I've served it at a couple
of late period feasts and it was consumed with great glee by the attendees.

Kiri