[Sca-cooks] Spices and the Irish Common folk

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 24 20:53:59 PST 2006

On 3/24/06 2:57 PM, "Tom Vincent" <Tom.Vincent at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the correction.
>
> Having been to Ireland several times, I wonder why any Irish people
> would want to bother with beef at all, what with the spectacular seafood
> they have there.  Not a dam on any river and beautiful salmon, trout and
> lobster abound.
>
> Duriel

You have to look at the cultural perspective.  These folks were raised on
stories like the Tain Bo Cuailnge, where cattle = wealth.  Also take into
account that seafood is often associated with Fast Days, and therefore fish
= deprivation, no matter how lovely and fresh it is.

At least the Irish hospitality industry is beginning to get the clue to
emphasize the real strengths of local cuisine in order to attract tourism
and other business contacts to their area.  But that is NOW, and we are
studying THEN.

Selene C.