[Sca-cooks] Spices and the Irish Common folk

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Mar 24 21:03:02 PST 2006

On Mar 24, 2006, at 11:53 PM, Susan Fox wrote:

> \You have to look at the cultural perspective.  These folks were
> raised on
> stories like the Tain Bo Cuailnge, where cattle = wealth.  Also
> take into
> account that seafood is often associated with Fast Days, and
> therefore fish
> = deprivation, no matter how lovely and fresh it is.

Not to mention the fact that a lot of Irish seafood is exported (I
hear you can't get a decent Idaho potato in Idaho), and then the fact
that tenant farmers were told, for a couple of hundred years, what to
grow, which presumably changed Irish eating habits considerably. Not
that this last would pertain to seafoods, but it might apply to meats
to some extent.

> At least the Irish hospitality industry is beginning to get the
> clue to
> emphasize the real strengths of local cuisine in order to attract
> tourism
> and other business contacts to their area.  But that is NOW, and we
> are
> studying THEN.
>
> Selene C.

It's nice to see them with a relatively booming economy... oddly
enough, my Mom still claims that the best hamburger she ever had was
in Dublin.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782