[Sca-cooks] Spices and the Irish Common folk

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sat Mar 25 00:30:04 PST 2006

Am Samstag, 25. März 2006 06:03 schrieb Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius:

> > At least the Irish hospitality industry is beginning to get the
> > clue to
> > emphasize the real strengths of local cuisine in order to attract
> > tourism
> > and other business contacts to their area.  But that is NOW, and we
> > are
> > studying THEN.
> >
> > Selene C.
>
> It's nice to see them with a relatively booming economy... oddly
> enough, my Mom still claims that the best hamburger she ever had was
> in Dublin.

You can eat well in Dublin these days, but unfortunately, too many places and
people still practice what no doubt they consider traditional Irish cooking,
which looks surprisingly like what many people think of as traditional
English cuisine with more potatoes. I thought deep-fried black pudding with
chips and eggs was a bit much for breakfast, but a lunch offer of boiled
potato with a side order of chips and ketchup definitely tops my list of fun
memories.

Irish seafood is big - aquaculture is a growth business in the Gaeltacht,
about the ony one they currently have. So is dairy, and Irish butter is a hot
commodity. Where I live, we get three kinds of butter: regular (no-brand made
by regional dairy co-ops), Danish, and Irish. Both the latter sell at a
markup. Danish doesn't surprise me - it's about 2 hours' drive to the border
- but Ireland is as far away as Normandy or Provence.  So there's got to be
something going for it.

Volker