[Sca-cooks] Spices and the Irish Common folk

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sat Mar 25 07:20:38 PST 2006

Not just a lot of seafood gets exported <g>.  During the Potato Famine in
the 1800s, Ireland actually produced enough food to feed everyone living
there, but much of it was exported by the landowners (gotta make a profit,
you know....)
One of my sincere regrets was not being able to get some good seafood when I
was in Dublin, but the restaurant I'd wanted to visit was closed for
renovations, and I wasn't there long enough to hunt down another one.
Closest I came to it was eating fish-and-chips on the ferry between Holyhead
and Dublin.  I did have the most amazing Indian cuisine there, though.
Twice.  <weg> Curry heaven!  And some interesting potato dishes (for
breakfast).
In this discussion about foods-Irish-historical, I'd like to point out that
there would have likely been distinct differences in what was eaten,
depending on when/where you lived.  I'd imagine that early in SCA period, if
you lived in/near the towns established by the various Norse
invaders/settlers, your foods would have reflected those cultures.  Ditto,
if you lived in the area around Dublin, later (known as "The Pale"), which
was strongly English-influenced.  My persona is 14th century Irish, living
in Dublin, and I'm using English sources for my Lenten fast, since Irish
sources are so lacking....
Colcannon sounds wonderful....*sigh*
--Maire, counting the days until she can have dairy again....