[Sca-cooks] Spices and the Irish Common folk

Tom Vincent Tom.Vincent at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 25 14:40:27 PST 2006

I doubt much seafood was exported in the 14th century. :)

In 1999, I took my then-girlfriend on a vacation tour of Irish castles
that have been converted into hotels for her birthday.  The quality of
dining had increased significantly since the last time I had been to
Ireland -- it's title as the Celtic Tiger is richly deserved.  A lot of
European chefs and a focus on local seafood & lamb.  One beautiful
castle/hotel in NW Ireland (Belleek -
http://www.hotel-ireland.com/belleek-castle/index.html) is right on a
salmon-rich river and had spectacular local lobsters, a skilled German
chef and Cuban cigars.  Now, *that's* roughing it!

Anyway, we were talking about food preparation methods for 14th century
common folk:  I'll stick with my earlier conclusions.  Common folk in
the 14th century were essentially subsistence farmers with little to no
access to spices or herbs as such or beef or cookbooks or recipes.  They
scraped together what they could and stretched it into as many meals as
they could until it went bad.  If they found some vegetable matter that
was edible, they'd throw it in the pot without a thought as to whether
it was a herb, fruit, berry, leaf, stem, root, flower or pod.  They
couldn't read, weren't educated and didn't travel.

That isn't speculation, pure or adulterated, or even 'prejudice' against
14th century common folk.  It's the result of education, research and
maybe even a bit of common sense.

Your mileage may vary!

Duriel

Have some dairy today!