[Sca-cooks] Spices and the Irish Common folk

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sun Mar 26 02:00:38 PST 2006

Am Samstag, 25. März 2006 23:40 schrieb Tom Vincent:

> Anyway, we were talking about food preparation methods for 14th century
> common folk:  I'll stick with my earlier conclusions.  Common folk in
> the 14th century were essentially subsistence farmers with little to no
> access to spices or herbs as such or beef or cookbooks or recipes.  They
> scraped together what they could and stretched it into as many meals as
> they could until it went bad.  If they found some vegetable matter that
> was edible, they'd throw it in the pot without a thought as to whether
> it was a herb, fruit, berry, leaf, stem, root, flower or pod.  They
> couldn't read, weren't educated and didn't travel.
>
> That isn't speculation, pure or adulterated, or even 'prejudice' against
> 14th century common folk.  It's the result of education, research and
> maybe even a bit of common sense.

Was Ireland really that different from the Continent? In German medieval
literature, we have the scene in Meir Helmbrecht that has farmers celebrating
the return of a lost son with carefully prepared feast-day fare (with the son
complaining that he is 'only' getting cabbage and bacon and roast goose
because he wants white bread manchet loaves and chicken - it is a moral
fable, after all). Pfaff Amis tells a funny story about an itinerant priest
tricking a farmer into believing in his supernatural powers by having
delicious fish 'appear' in the freshwater spring near his farm, and the
dialogue again reveals that the farmer both relishes high quality fish and is
glad of the spring because it provides 'good' drinking water (though he can
also provide ale if that is preferred). Then there is the either very late
14th or early 15th 'Ring Epic', a satire describing a village wedding that
also shows appreciation of good food, though its humorous point is that
peasants appreciate the 'wrong' food. I do not buy into the idea that these
are prpojections of upper-class attitudes into the lower odrers precisely
because in two important cases the story hinges on the idea that the lower
orders appreciate different kinds of food (in one case approvingly, in the
other with heavy-handed humor).

Also, most societies depending on seasonal food supplies tend to be good at
preservation. Living from food source to food source is a dangerous strategy.

Volker