[Sca-cooks] Tony Bourdain Iceland Special

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Mar 26 05:31:00 PST 2006

On Mar 26, 2006, at 2:35 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> To which Adamantius asked me:
> >>>
> Is it possible that Phlip's use of the word "was" [quoting Dr. Buell,
> or possibly not] has led you to assume the discussion was about
> period Icelandic cookery, when in fact it may have been on Icelandic
> cookery in general, or modern Icelandic cookery?
> <<<
>
> No. I did consider that, but if Paul Buell said that, his view is
> even more contrary to Nana's comments on modern Icelandic cooking
> then if we just stick to medieval Icelandic foods.  She starts out
> in her book talking about the great variety of foods now available
> to the average Icelander, thanks to modern transportation and
> preservation systems. Her comments on this don't sound like
> "Icelandic cooking is pretty basic today- boil fish, add a bit of
> salt and pepper and serve."

Not unless one has recently added fish, salt and pepper to the menu
due to modern transportation and preservation systems ;-). The bottom
line is, even if what Dr. Buell says is both a generalization and an
exaggeration, and it may be both, it could still be essentially true
on some level, at least the "pretty basic" part.

> Of course this probably varies depending upon what segment of the
> population someone is watching. If someone came to the U.S. and
> watched many of the school kids, they might easily say "American
> cooking is pretty basic today- Put frozen pizza (or pizza slice) in
> microwave, heat and serve".

Absolutely. I'm sure if you lowered Jacques Pepin (or whomever along
those lines) from a helicopter into a school cafeteria in Muskogee on
a Monday at noon, he might very well say something like that.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04