[Sca-cooks] If you only had one cooking pot

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Mon Mar 27 13:20:17 PST 2006

> I'd select a heavy gauge, hammered mild steel wok about 16" to 18"
> with two lids, one dome and one heavier with a lip like dutch oven.
> It will have a 11 to 12" round hollow-metal handle on one side and a
> horse-shoe loop welded to the other side (sort of like a hanging
> loop, but pointing upwards when cooking.
>
> Once seasoned, it gives you stovetop as well as open fire
> versatility.  You can sautee, deep fry, pan fry, steam, boil/simmer,
> braise, hot smoke, bake, reduce, stew, flambee, dry roast, pop
> popcorn and other methods inside it with only 4 little chopsticks to
> lay in differing configurations to hold stuff off bottom of pan.
>  Use the lipped lid to create ersats dutch oven. Rice can be done in
> there, too, but even easier in a small pot on the side. I cannot
> think of a dish that I make regularly that cannot be done in a wok
> if that were the only pan in the kitchen.  Don't know if I can say
> the same of others in my arsenal.
>
> niccolo difrancesco

I didn't see the original question yet, but I agree with you almost
completely. My disagreement comes because I'd prefer a larger wok- you can
cook for one person in either, but you can also cook for a crowd in a big
wok. Those little 12 inch woks that seem to be all the rage lately are, to my
mind, worthless. I prefer my 32" wok.

Phlip