[Sca-cooks] If you only had one cooking pot

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 27 13:06:57 PST 2006

I'd select a heavy gauge, hammered mild steel wok about 16" to 18" with two
lids, one dome and one heavier with a lip like dutch oven.  It will have a
11 to 12" round hollow-metal handle on one side and a horse-shoe loop welded
to the other side (sort of like a hanging loop, but pointing upwards when
cooking.

Once seasoned, it gives you stovetop as well as open fire versatility.  You
can sautee, deep fry, pan fry, steam, boil/simmer, braise, hot smoke, bake,
reduce, stew, flambee, dry roast, pop popcorn and other methods inside it
with only 4 little chopsticks to lay in differing configurations to hold
stuff off bottom of pan.  Use the lipped lid to create ersats dutch oven.
Rice can be done in there, too, but even easier in a small pot on the side.
I cannot think of a dish that I make regularly that cannot be done in a wok
if that were the only pan in the kitchen.  Don't know if I can say the same
of others in my arsenal.

niccolo difrancesco