[Sca-cooks] If you only had one cooking pot

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Mar 27 14:31:56 PST 2006

On Mar 27, 2006, at 4:56 PM, marilyn traber 011221 wrote:

> I think you're talking about cast iron. While I love my cast iron
> stuff, one
> disadvantage it has is that it's so bloody heavy. Cast iron is also
> pretty
> brittle, so where mild steel would bend, and all you'd need to do
> is hammer
> ir back into shape, you'd have to replace the cast iron- and, as I
> understand
> it, cast iron woks are available, but hard to find, and pretty
> expensive. Not
> usually a concern in the average kitchen, but my poor wok travels
> to events
> with me, in with my smithing stuff ;-)

If this is cast iron, the stuff I'm talking about is really thin.
It's not significantly thicker than the metal the mild steel woks are
made from, but it looks somehow a little duller, and as you say, is a
lot more brittle. Maybe they get annealed when you cook with them,
and are more delicate in shipping? And maybe they're so cheap to make
there's an acceptable level of breakage? Who knows, maybe they
recycle the shards.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782