WOK this way (was RE: [Sca-cooks] If you only had one cooking pot)

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 27 17:00:24 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
If this is cast iron, the stuff I'm talking about is really thin.
It's not significantly thicker than the metal the mild steel woks are
made from, but it looks somehow a little duller, and as you say, is a
lot more brittle. Maybe they get annealed when you cook with them,
and are more delicate in shipping? And maybe they're so cheap to make
there's an acceptable level of breakage? Who knows, maybe they
recycle the shards.

The one I've had for years and years I got off TV . . . The 'original'
Hand-Hammered Wok.  It is pretty brittle around the bottom and more flexible
at top edges.  I also have a cute little one that would hold maybe 2 qts
liquid that is very obviously spun and more pronoounced bowl shape.  Got me
through grad school in the dorms very nicely.

I have seen thinnish cast iron woks . . . I guess they could have been 8
gauge steel . . in places before.  None of the ones I've seen were in pieces
on the floor, though.  Maybe it was a lamellar wok??

niccolo difrancesco