WOK this way (was RE: [Sca-cooks] If you only had one cooking pot)

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Mon Mar 27 17:20:11 PST 2006

> The one I've had for years and years I got off TV . . . The
> 'original' Hand-Hammered Wok.  It is pretty brittle around the
> bottom and more flexible at top edges.

Huh. Mild steel shouldn't be brittle- it can't be- has no carbon (or minimal)
to harden it up (given proper temperature treatment).

> I have seen thinnish cast iron woks . . . I guess they could have
> been 8 gauge steel . . in places before.

8 guage steel is pretty thick, about 3.25 mm, or a tad over an eighth of an
inch. By comparison, most cast iron frying pans are about 1/4 inch thick.

> None of the ones I've seen
> were in pieces on the floor, though.  Maybe it was a lamellar wok??
>
> niccolo difrancesco

Well, if Adamantius actually remembers to get me a shard or three, I suspect
I'll find out ;-)

The only other possibility I can think of would be wrought iron (the REAL
stuff), but it isn't brittle either, but rather grainy. Can't really see that
being used, for all its wonderful characteristics.

Phlip