Schtick Restaurants -- was, Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Pho

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Mar 28 06:49:40 PST 2006

On Mar 28, 2006, at 9:03 AM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> And then, of course, there's the bar in Alaska (not a Chinese
> place, but good ol' English!) named "Tricky Dick's Half-way Inn"!
> I really am not joking.  We were there several years back...it's
> about half-way between Anchorage and Fairbanks.  When you visit,
> you sign a dollar bill and it gets stapled to the ceiling or
> wall...wherever there's room!
> Kiri

Your post has got me thinking of restaurants, bars, etc., with some
odd traditions. Who's got accounts of those to share? Apart from the
old Sloppy Louie's in New York, where you used to be able to sneak in
through the kitchen door, see what looked good on your way to the
dining room, and order accordingly, the entry that screams to be
talked about is a place called, I believe, The Pinnacle Peak, outside
San Bernardino, CA. I have no idea if they're still around, but it
was considered sort of unofficially mandatory to A) understand that
neckties were strictly forbidden, and B) to wear the most
outrageously trashy tie you could find, because they would then have
a little ceremony where they'd snip your tie off with a large pair of
tailor's shears, and nail it to the beam above the bar.

As I recall, the menu consisted of the Cowgirl Steak (a T-bone/
porterhouse that hung over the edge of the plate), the Cowboy Steak
(a definite porterhouse that hung off the edge of the table if you
weren't careful), a burger for kids, although I STR it was probably
at least 1/2 a pound of meat, pinto beans, sourdough bread, and some
form of green salad. They might have had pies for dessert, but we
never got that far.

As I say, I have no idea if they still exist, and I haven't been
there since the mid-70's, but they were a lot of fun.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04