Schtick Restaurants -- was, Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Pho

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 28 07:56:50 PST 2006

> Your post has got me thinking of restaurants, bars, etc., with some
> odd traditions. Who's got accounts of those to share? Apart from the
> old Sloppy Louie's in New York, where you used to be able to sneak in
> through the kitchen door, see what looked good on your way to the
> dining room, and order accordingly, the entry that screams to be
> talked about is a place called, I believe, The Pinnacle Peak, outside
> San Bernardino, CA. I have no idea if they're still around, but it
> was considered sort of unofficially mandatory to A) understand that
> neckties were strictly forbidden, and B) to wear the most
> outrageously trashy tie you could find, because they would then have
> a little ceremony where they'd snip your tie off with a large pair of
> tailor's shears, and nail it to the beam above the bar.

Google shows Phoenix and Tucson;  in California, San Diego [actually
Santee, Barony of Calafia], Garden Grove [a suburb usually better known
for Asian population and restaurants, in Gyldenholt], San Dimas [east
end of the Barony of Angels] and Colton [San Bernardino County at least,
that would be Dreiburgen -- this may be the one to which you refer].

The Phoenix location is the original location, they claim no connection
to the others of the same name.  It is certainly up on a pinnacle in
Scottsdale.  Unforgettable views. When my family went there long ago, we
watched a lightning storm march across the opposite end of a long clear
valley.  The steak was really outstanding too, at least to a lass of 10
or so.

Naturally, some wags in Atenveldt have tried wearing chain mail ties.
 They stock wire cutters for people like them.

Selene C.