[Sca-cooks] Irish breakfast

Tom Vincent tom.vincent at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 28 08:45:20 PST 2006

Sounds more like a Hobbit's breakfast. :)

  Duriel

"Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

The classical Irish breakfast is usually a variation on the morning
version of the fry, fry-up, or in the US, mixed grill. As the first
two names state, and the third sorta implies, various ingredients are
thrown into a large skillet to cook. These can include any
combination, in descending order of frequency/likelihood, of things
like:

~Eggs (especially necessary if this is a breakfast fry)
~Bacon (ditto -- generally back or loin bacon anywhere except the US)
~Sausages, such as bangers or the more standard peppery breakfast
sausage
~Chunks of cooked black pudding
~Chunks of cooked white pudding
~Chips, home fries or hash browns (often the latter is run through a
grater, like a potato latke without the egg or matzoh)
~Toast (generally white "batch" bread, sometimes brown bread, and
never, in my experience, soda bread
~Fried tomato slices
~liver slices (lamb, calf, or beef, normally, but sometimes pork)
~chops, normally lamb, occasionally pork
~fried or broiled mushroom caps, ideally field mushrooms, which are
fairly similar to portobellos
~kidney (generally lamb)

The liver, chops, mushrooms and kidneys are more evening fry items,
but do occasionally turn up at breakfast, especially on Sundays. The
egg seems to be included morning and night. I've heard rumors of
canned baked beans showing up, even the dreaded curry-flavored beans,
but I have never actually seen this.

Oh, and sometimes the bread is fried in the pan, and not toasted.

Now you can see the irony built into Harry Potter's bloated Aunt
[Marge?] saying she doesn't have time to cook anything but a fry-up...

Adamantius

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Tom Vincent

“To stand in silence when they should be protesting makes cowards out of men”

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.”

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”

“If I am killed, I can die but once; but to live in constant dread of it, is to die over and over again”

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.”

“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.”

“My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure.”

- Abraham Lincoln