[Sca-cooks] Knives

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Tue Mar 28 15:22:10 PST 2006

At 02:46 PM 3/28/2006,Tom Vincent said something like:
>   What about knives?  What are folk's favorites, least favorites, dream
> knives, etc?
>
>Anyone try/like ceramic knives?
>
>   For me, I love Chicago Cutlery's traditional knives, with the wood
> handles...They just *feel* like knives.  I had a set of Henckels and got
> rid of it.
>
>   Now, some of these Japanese Damascus chef's knives really get my blood
> moving...
>
>   Duriel

My favorite is a Calphalon one, an eight inch chef knife. It fits my hand
well and does 99% of what I want to do.  My 2nd favorite is a sturdy paring
knife that I found at a 99cent only store.  I was so impressed by it that I
purchased a dozen slicing knives for the baronial kitchen gear (they had
_no_ knives at all), and people refuse to believe they were that
inexpensive.  They work fantastically, they hold an edge, clean up well,
and look awesome.

I have a ceramic knife, and frankly, I'm disappointed. I checked with a
knife smith (Njall Hagarson sp?) and he tells me that the ceramic stuff is
mostly hype. This thing does not hold an edge well, after very light use
over one year it bludgeons tomatoes, not slices.  It now lives in the back
corner of the knife block, in a position of honor, but not seeing use.

Regards,
Maggie