[Sca-cooks] Knives

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 28 19:55:34 PST 2006

On 3/28/06 4:42 PM, "Elaine Koogler" <ekoogler1 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Tom Vincent wrote:
>> To open a different topic altogether:
>>
>>   What about knives?  What are folk's favorites, least favorites, dream
>> knives, etc?

My small [6-1/2 inch blade] chef's knife, made for me by Master Oso.  Hands
down.  It is like a part of me.  For really large items, I have a 50 or so
year old Gerber carving set.

>> Anyone try/like ceramic knives?

Oh yes, but I'm nearly afraid to use it.  I know if I drop it, it will break
like glass.  However, like glass, it is extremely sharp and stays that way.
Goes through tough meat like butter.

>>   Now, some of these Japanese Damascus chef's knives really get my blood
>> moving...

My mother has recently seen a lot about the Santoku knives on TV and went
out and got a $19.99 model, against my advice.  I don't care what they call
it or what fancy name it bears, a 20-buck knife is a 20-buck knife.  Feh.

Selene C.