[Sca-cooks] On "Swet Te" (was Po' Folks)

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 29 10:33:45 PST 2006

Michael Gunter wrote:
>> HEY!!!  Only us Okies get to pick on Oklahoma!!!  But seriously, that
>> was
>> hilarious. :)
>>
>> Elizabeta of Rundel
>
> My momma was born in Gertie, raised in Chickasha, is buried in
> Verden. The family was pure white trash who survived the
> Depression picking cotton.
>
> I was raised on catfish fries, fried chicken cooked in a 100 year
> old dutch oven (my only inheritance), greens, fried taters,
> tons of tea, mayonnaise and tomato sandwiches and
> southern barbecue.
>
> Soul food isn't for black people, it's what's served at family
> reunions.
>
> And to prove that I'm from redneck Okie stock, at my
> mother's funeral there was (I swear on my belt and
> chain) an attendee in his overalls with a Massey-Ferguson
> cap and his name was, I swear to God, Cleatus.
>
> Yers,
>
> Gunthar-Bob
Well...guess my background is a from a different part of the south.
Mama was born and raised 70 miles southeast of Atlanta...Dad was from
the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia ("The Valley").  I agree that soul
food is what people in the south eat, whether white or black.  And we
always drank sweetened tea with lemon.  I was fortunate in that Dad
owned part of a farm (with his father and brother) in the Valley, so we
always had beef and pork that had been raised on the farm.  Grandma
would make scrapple and souse...loved the former, can't deal with the
latter!  And they would cure the best hams and shoulders...I still
remember how good they were.  On my mother's side, Grandpa made
Georgia-style barbeque...shredded pork with a sauce of lemon juice,
mustard, black pepper, vinegar, butter and drippings from cooking the
pork.  Sigh.  Got to make some of that one day soon.

Kiri