[Sca-cooks] On "Swet Te" (was Po' Folks)

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 29 21:41:34 PST 2006

Gunthar-Bob isn't the only other Oklahoma-rooted participant round these
here parts (I came to Texas primarily for mercenary reasons, after being
born in the Osage country and raised with Kiowa, Arapaho, Comanche, and
other NavAm classmates -- great-grandma refused enrollment in the
Cherokee back in 1912, or I would have qualified for an additional pool
of scholarship money ...)

I'll see his Cleatus-at-the-funeral and raise
1) burials in bathrobe & pajamas (two grandparents, by their request --
made perfect sense, Grandad never did look quite right in a suit after
fishing for all those years in khakis and overalls)
2) funeral attendees in coveralls, not just overalls -- perfectly
sensible once or twice, with wind chills in the sub-teens and not a
windbreak around to speak of...
3) funeral attendees arriving in full working rig on horseback (everyone
understood, stock outside the fences takes priority over ceremonial
passages; them folk made their excuses, just the same, because that was
their sense of "polite")
4) (obligatory food content) Family reunion food includes
"real" baked beans (made with store-bought pork-n-beans, ketchup, dry
mustard, brown sugar or molasses, and good bacon for flavor [ends&pieces
when available]),
pecan pie (when your cousin runs forty-odd acres of pecan orchard and
most everyone else knows where the best native trees grow along the
creeks, it makes sense),
and usually at least one pan of fried chicken still in the cooking
grease.

Fried catfish, on the other hand, was far more regular on Granny Baker's
table about twice a week, with fried perch & crappie as even more
regular breakfast meats alongside the obligatory bacon, or sausage
patties (Grandad tried to follow the doctor's orders and reduce his
cholesterol, usually -- he took to smoking his catfish in his later
years, but still had to have one or two nibbles of the fried platter for
quality control).

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe (Mike C. Baker)
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em | alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR
MCBaker216 at cs.com
 Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen |