[Sca-cooks] Using all the fish

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Mar 29 14:46:02 PST 2006

On Mar 29, 2006, at 4:06 PM, Judith L. Smith Adams wrote:

>   2)  For a light fish stock, just toss bones, heads, tails of
> cleaned fish in a pot, add celery, carrot, onion (or saute these to
> soften in butter or a light olive oil), a bit of a bay leaf (go
> easy) and/or a small pinch of thyme, a few peppercorns, a pinch of
> salt, a slosh of white wine.  Bring to a simmer, cook another 15 or
> 20 minutes, let cool.  Strain and freeze.  I like to measure 1 cup
> stock into a zip-loc snack bag, lay 'em out on a tray until frozen,
> then pack into gallon heavy duty freezer bags.  Use up in 3 to 6
> months.  Tastes funny to me if it's in there much longer.

Just something that crossed my mind, that might be second nature to
everyone here, or might really be worth mentioning: I highly
recommend the rule which says you want at least one pound of meat or
fish solids -- bones, meat, trimmings, skin, etc. -- per quart of
liquid added. Often I see people with a pitiful handful of pre-cooked
chicken leg bones and gallons of water, and they wonder why the stock
is weak. It's one thing to make the most of what you have, but you
can't get something from nothing.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782