[Sca-cooks] Using all the fish

Judith L. Smith Adams judifer50 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 09:47:53 PST 2006

  "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
  >>> Just something that crossed my mind, that might be second nature to
everyone here, or might really be worth mentioning: I highly
recommend the rule which says you want at least one pound of meat or
fish solids -- bones, meat, trimmings, skin, etc. -- per quart of
liquid added. Often I see people with a pitiful handful of pre-cooked
chicken leg bones and gallons of water, and they wonder why the stock
is weak. It's one thing to make the most of what you have, but you
can't get something from nothing. <<<

Adamantius

Too right, mate...  Without enough of the meaty/fishy bits, stock will be so-o-o-o anemic...  I also neglected to mention that the cook can control the flavor and intensity of the stock by varying the proportion of meat/fish to veg and/or the length of cooking time, by reduction, by re-using a weak stock as a poaching liquid (my personal favorite), by browning or roasting the veg before simmering it, etc. :-)

  Judith