Schtick Restaurants -- was, Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Pho

Tom Vincent tom.vincent at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 06:39:24 PST 2006

Yep, it's in far North Scottsdale (which has a shape not unlike Chile).  That long road you were on is Scottsdale Rd, with the restaurant North of Pinnacle Peak Rd (where you'd logically expect it to be).  You actually never went through multiple cities...it was all Scottsdale once you left Tempe.

  There really are bridges in Phoenix...a couple of them washed out a few years ago in Spring floods, including one in Tempe (Mill Ave bridge).  There used to be free-flowing, year-round rivers (with native beavers!) before the White Man came and destroyed the ecology.

  And there are curved roads, but Phoenix is in a broad, flat valley (ancient sea bed) with very few hills, so a grid of roads a civil engineer would love makes sense.

  Tucson, by contrast, actually has more hills with curving roads -- and has one very aptly named Roller Coaster Road...a lot of fun to drive on in a sports car. :)

  Throughout all of Arizona and California, there are very few old buildings of any sort as there just wasn't much of a construction-focused population before the 20th century.

  Duriel

Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
  Ah! Okay, they must be a chain. when Adamantius first described it, I
was wondering if he had gotten the location wrong. I remember going
to this Pinnacle Peak restaurant north of Phoenix. I think it was
actually in Scottsdale. From Tempe it seemed like you drove forever,
always on the same road, never turning (I'm not sure they know what
curves or bridges are in Phoenix) and going through multiple cities.
They only way you knew this was the color of the street signs
changed. One of those psuedo rustic/western/old buildings but better
done than most.

Stefan
--------
Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas