Protecting Traditional Origins - was Re: [Sca-cooks] Hot off the presses: A new Feudal Gourmet pamphlet!

Tom Vincent tom.vincent at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 31 08:38:40 PST 2006

It isn't 'French food marketing':  It's the EU's philosophy of protecting products originating from or associated with a particular region.  This covers some cheeses (like Spain's Cabrales and Ireland's Imokilly Regato), beers, breads/pastries, oils, olives, fruits, vegetables, meat products, ciders, mineral waters, spices, even Spanish & Italian saffron (Azafran de La Mancha and Zafferano del'Aquila).

  You can't grow Finnish Lapin Puikula potatoes in India and call them Lapin Puikulas, for example, or bake Nurnberger Lebkuchen biscuits outside of Nurnberg, Germany.

  It's a way of protecting traditional origins of foods & produce, so you don't get things like, I don't know, (US equivalents) Wisconsin Cheddar coming from Alabama, Poland Spring water coming from New Mexico, Philly cheesesteaks coming from Reno and Chicago deepdish pizza coming from Boise.

  http://europa.eu.int/comm/agriculture/foodqual/quali1_en.htm

  Duriel

"Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

On Mar 31, 2006, at 3:04 AM, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Forwarded by request
>
> ---------------------
>
> Hot off the presses: A new Feudal Gourmet pamphlet!
>
> Researching a medieval Recipe: Condoignac - a Quince Paste from
> Paris, 1393-1394.

I'm curious about something here... is the reference to it being from
Paris based on the fact that there's a recipe for cotignac in Le
Menagier, or is there some more compelling reason? I ask because
today, the city of (I think) Tours claims it as their official
invention, and, French food marketing being what it is, rife with
statements of identity and "it can't be called this if it doesn't
come from here", I assume there's some foundation to that claim.

Can one of our candy geeks shed a little light on this?

Adamantius

"S'ils n'ont pas de pain, vous fait-on dire, qu'ils mangent de la
eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04