[Sca-cooks] Hot off the presses: A new Feudal Gourmet pamphlet!

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 31 09:55:59 PST 2006

> Forwarded by request
>
> ---------------------
>
> Hot off the presses: A new Feudal Gourmet pamphlet!
>
> Researching a medieval Recipe: Condoignac - a Quince Paste from Paris,
> 1393-1394.
>
> Our latest pamphlet is not a recipe collection, but an example of how
> to meticulously reconstruct a medieval recipe, from researching each
> of the ingredients, to analyzing in depth the multiple translations of
> the recipe, and going through multiple combinations of the ingredients
> to achieve a happy final result.  A great example of taking medieval
> cooking to a higher level of research.  $3.00

I did this once.  Came out well but I wish people had actually eaten
more of it.  I guess we stuffed the guests too full for the Twelve
Treasures of Christmas to go over all that well.   I hate to think that
I broke that apple peeler for nothing.

Quince tangent:  MUCH harder to work with than apples.  I had one of
those hand-cranked peeler/corer gadgets which worked for about two and a
half quinces, then the spikes on which the fruit were impaled broke
clean off.  My SCA nephew Celleach drilled out the nubs and installed
steel nails instead.  That worked on the rest of the quinces and I still
have the rebuilt cranker to this day!

Selene